Happy Thanksgiving to one and all! Hopefully everyone enjoyed a great Thanksgiving holiday with family and friends and violated as many of governor Newsom’s unlawful orders as possible. California gun owners may feel the current situation is bleak, but I would argue we have much for which to be thankful. Consider the following:
- Second Amendment (2A) related lawsuits – There are currently a number of viable legal challenges to some of California’s ill-conceived, dysfunctional gun control laws. The assault rifle (known to most Americans as the modern sporting rifle) ban and the standard capacity magazine ban are both being challenged as are laws relating to ammunition purchase background checks and expansion of the handgun roster. These cases are working their way through the courts and making progress. We can be thankful to the Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) and the California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA) for their efforts. SDCGO and several of it’s members are involved in some of the cases as well.
- Constitutionalist Judges – Thanks mostly to President Trump we now have a solid majority of five constitutionalist justices on the US Supreme Court. This means that a 2A case or two will likely be heard by the court in the coming years and the chances are good the court will rule correctly. We may finally see our 2A rights restored and protected once and for all. The recent ruling against Governor Cuomo’s illegal suppression of houses of worship is a good indication, particularly the comments of Justice Gorsuch, of what we can expect from the court in the future. In addition, again mostly due to President Trump, we have over 300 new constitutionalist judges on the federal bench. This includes the notoriously liberal 9th Circuit which is now almost evenly split between activist and constitutionalist judges. These are things for which to be thankful.
- Number of CCW permits in San Diego County continues to grow – In spite of the challenges presented by the COVID overreaction, the number of CCW permits issued continues to grow. There are currently 4338 CCW permit holders in the county and the number grows daily. SDCGO continues to hold multiple CCW seminars each month, both online and in-person, and all are well attended.
- SDCGO continues to grow – SDCGO now has over 2200 members and continues to sign 50 to 100 new members each month. The organization is also financially stable even after losing its Annual Dinner fundraising event (Gun Prom) to COVID. SDCGO is becoming a significant pro-2A force in San Diego County.
- Election results – Most conservatives (and gun owners) are skeptical as to the legitimacy of the Presidential election results. Unfortunately, knowing there was fraud and proving there was fraud are two different things. If the President is successful in his legal efforts we can look forward to four more years of growth and prosperity. If he’s unsuccessful we’ll get to experience something else, but I have a third alternative. I think that Donald Trump may prove to be more influential, more of an agent for change outside the White House than in. If that’s true, we could be looking at a win/win situation. Definitely something for which to be thankful.
The right to self-defense is a basic human right. Gun ownership is an integral part of that right. If you want to keep your rights defend them by joining San Diego County Gun Owners (SDCGO) in San Diego, Orange County Gun Owners (OCGO) in Orange County, San Bernardino County Gun Owners (SBCGO) in San Bernardino County or Riverside County Gun Owners (RCGO) in Riverside. Support the cause by listening to Gun Owners Radio live on Sunday afternoon or on the internet at your leisure. Join the fight and help us restore and preserve our second amendment rights. Together we will win.
©2020 Joseph T Drammissi